- Ryan Redford
BARN Block Show & Contest
Updated: May 3, 2021
We are excited to announce the newest show of 2021- BARN BLOCKS!!
DATE OF SHOW: August 1 - August 31, 2021.
Growing in popularity since the turn of the century, Barn Quilts are a beautiful site in rural America. We are delighted to honor the art of Barn Quilts in this exhibit. Along with the blocks entered into the contest the museum will showcase the barn quilts on the exterior of our building. A map of a local "barn quilt trail" will also be provided to all museum guests.
Quilts will be judged and awarded in the following areas:
· 1st place, $400 · 2nd place $250 · 3rd place $150
Contest Rules & Guidelines
1. Entry fee of $30 (non-refundable), includes admission to the Missouri Quilt Museum during the show, and a Missouri Quilt Museum t-shirt as well as a 10% discount in the museum gift shop.
2. Quilts must be received by the Missouri Quilt Museum on or before July 21, 2021 to be included in judging. We are not responsible for packages that do not make it to us on time. Please check with your shipping company on arrival dates prior to shipping any quilts to the contest. If you would rather you can bring your quilt in person before July 15, 2021, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to drop off. Picking up your quilt should be arranged prior to September 5, 2021. Quilts that are not picked up will be considered donations to the museum
3. Quilts must not be smaller than 12"x12" and may not exceed 48” length x 48 width”
4. A minimum 2x4' header must be attached to the top of each quilt or an easel must be provided.
5. All quilts must include a label with the following information: · Name of person who painted it. · Name of Quilt. · Description of quilt. · Where quilt was created.
6. Any technique and/or embellishments are allowed in this contest.
7. A photography release (found on entry form) signed by the makers of each quilt must accompany each quilt. This release allows Missouri Quilt Museum to use photographs of each quilt for the purposes of marketing in print, electronic or otherwise.
8. Quilts will be displayed from August 1, 2021 – August 31,2021 at the Missouri Quilt Museum. FOR THOSE THAT GIVE PERMISSION.... Some quilts will be shown in an open air environment, while others will be displayed inside the galleries. A staff volunteer will be outside with the quilts at all times when on display. Quilts will be taken down each evening and put back up the following morning. In case of inclement weather the quilts will be moved inside to display. There will be no more than 20 open air dates during the show. Preference for these purposes can be selected on the entry form. Quilts with an "indoor only" permission will ONLY be hung indoor for the duration of the contest.
9. All quilts will be judged by a volunteer panel, before the exhibit opens on August 1. Award certificates will be displayed with winning quilts during exhibit.
10. Any makers who would like to donate their contest piece to the MQM will need to fill out a Loan to Sell Affidavit (or simply not claim at the end of the show) Please write DONATE in the Sales Price location. Donors will receive a tax donation form emailed to them by September 30, 2021. Donated quilts will be kept in MQM collection.
11. Entrants may send their quilt with an attached sale price, as long as it is accompanied with a signed Loan to Sell Affidavit. MQM will take a 20% commission from any sold quilts. Any quilts sold during the exhibit will be shipped to their buyers at the close of the show AND before September 30, 2021. A check for the sale amount (minus the 20%) will be sent to the seller on or before September 30, 2021.
PLEASE SEND FINISHED QUILTS TO:
CONTEST SUBMISSION SMYH
C/O MISSOURI QUILT MUSEUM
4011 NW STATE HWY P
HAMILTON, MO 64644
Checklist of items to include in packaging:
Sell Affidavit (only for quilts for sale or donation)
Entry Fee paid HERE
(or send a CHECK with your package)
For questions please call Dakota at 435-849-2564.